archive

Tuesday, December 12, 2023

* Hostage

 YT


Tomorrow I could be killed. I could be crippled. I could be accused of a crime I did not commit, the fates conspire to convict me and I am a fugitive or a prisoner. These things happen, and there no safety in prayer or piety. Tomorrow I could find the people I love gone, disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again - perhaps destroyed. I could slip across the life’s blood of what is dearest to me. 

Tomorrow I could take one last shuddering breath, let go a slow silent sigh before I succumb to the darkness and despair that grips at my heart and crushes my chest. I could repent my integrity, my faithfulness, my salvation, and descend into an orgy of flesh and rage that would turn innocence to stone. I could curse the day that bore me and consign myself to hell.

We are hostage to a fallen world, that lies in the lap of evil, ruled by a dark Principality. God does not govern here - merely intervenes, sometimes. And what we have to sustain us, is a promise. We hope that we will be happy, or that our happiness, if we have it, will continue. We hope there is a hedge around us, to preserve us from a pain beyond our capacity to endure. 

We have been told we will not be tested to the breaking point. But how weak we are, how small. How alone we are, in this evil place of anguish and torment. Yet it isn’t hell, yet. Shall we find comfort, in this?

God calls himself a father, to us. How can we argue against God? We count our pain as chastisement, and it is for our good. For God is our Father. That he is so distant, is our fault. For he is God, and everywhere. 


If we have no comfort, did he not send a Comforter? But this is what I know. He calls himself the God of Consolation. Why am I not consoled? A father reaches out, and you feel his hand take yours. What father doesn’t do this?

Have you noticed it? I can’t be the only one. Because I’m not quite as crazy as the world is. I’m still civilized. But some of these things have happened, and not tomorrow. How will we bear it?

Sometimes, salvation, and sanity, is just a habit.


J

2 comments:

brentg said...

Hello, Old Friend, This morning your post of years ago, Mens sana in corpore sano, came to mind so looked it up in my blog file from something I'd written. That led me to wonder how you were doing and after all this time, you're still here, writing. I'm glad. You do such an incredible job at wordsmithing, capturing in thought internal process. You were a help to my own process. Thank you. I hope you're well and growing. I've saved the page to do some reading but will have to figure out how to get logged back in since I can't find my password. Brent

Jack H said...

Greetings indeed. It was Obama that did me in. I get it, voting for him once. *We're not racist!!!* But to RE-elect him. So much for America. I grieved for quite a while. The fall of an idol, I suppose.

I have to look, to check ... ... ... Uh, ah, yes, no, it wasn't you. Some months ago I got to thinking about a promise I'd made, years ago, to a likeminded blogger. W. And I wrote this

https://forgottenprophets.blogspot.com/2023/06/please-foreward.html

but, well, the title says it.

You may have noticed I've adapted some of my old stuff for a visual medium, YT. It was probably Hamas that got me going again. Anyways, THAT is what I look like. Not really as red, though.

Pleasure to hear from you.

Best,

J