archive

Monday, September 25, 2006

Ejsy;d i[z

Huh. What happened? I seem to have slept through the whole weekend. Just woke up. It’s 3:43, Monday afternoon. I don't seem to remember the weekend. How odd. Do I have epilepsy? Was I being probed by aliens? Mentally probed. Space aliens. Hmm. That would be just like me. Last thing I remember, I was watching some TV. Wonder why I thought I needed to do that? I never watch TV. Hmm. Didn’t know I was so tired. What was I doing, to get so tired? Can’t seem to recall. Ah well. No matter. Couldn’t have been very important.

Charles Krauthammer makes a typically incisive point. “In Mogadishu, Somali religious leader Abubukar Hassan Malin calls on Muslims to ‘hunt down’ the pope. The pope not being quite at hand, they do the next best thing: shoot dead, execution-style, an Italian nun working in a children's hospital.

“‘How dare you say Islam is a violent religion? I'll kill you for it’ is not exactly the best way to go about refuting the charge. But of course, refuting is not the point here. The point is intimidation. ...

"The pope gives offense and the Mujaheddin Shura Council in Iraq declares that it 'will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose the "jizya" (head) tax, then the only thing acceptable is conversion or the sword.' This to protest the accusation that Islam might be spread by the sword."

I think the meta-lesson here is that we must all be reasonable, and calm, and respect everyone else’s opinion. After all, isn’t that what we’re all about? In the great scheme of things, it all evens … evens … hmm. What I mean to say is that the other guy has a point of view, and it’s just as good as yours or mine. After all, until we walk a mile in the other guy's shoes, we don’t have the right … the right, uh, to, um, to judge. Huh. I, I feel so unfocused. Surely that’s not my opinion? It’s so bland. And so wrong. I mean, they blasted a cap into a nun’s cerebellum. Isn’t it time to send in the Black Hawks? Or does that evoke unfortunate associations. I appear to be thinking that it’s necessary to be sensitive to people’s sensitivities. I must be evolving.

Well, perhaps Krauthammer is too butch for me, right now. I was reading Bernard Lewis and among many excellent points he drew out the connection between freedom and justice. You should read what he said. It’s really neat and stuff. He's like so smart and cool too, you know? Totally the bomb. The rad bomb, lol. Uh. Hmm. No. Um, huh. Uh, I mean it’s most, uh, most edifying. Extremely elusidating of the contextual anomolies between the two paradimes…

No. Something is definitely wrong here. And there’s something nagging at me. Something important, that’s slipped my mind. Like a conversation I dreamed or something. Wish I could remember. Maybe I’m hungry. Think I’ll get some ice cream. That’s weird. I never eat ice cream.


J

No comments: