archive

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

In Brief

Listening to Thompson's speech at the RNC. Plain blue stage. I guess the Grecian columns didn't arrive on time. How irksome. Thompson's speaking about the Hanoi Hilton. Two years of solitary confinement. If I sit here silently weeping, no one will ever know it. I am alone. When I think of the pipsqueak who presumes to compare himself to McCain, I don't know whether to feel pity or scorn.

How many homes does McCain own? I don't know. I expect it's less than the number of rooms in the Hanoi Hilton.

Ah well. This is not a time for bitterness. There's so much talking, so many words about hope. As Thompson pointed out, what leader now on the national stage is most qualified to understand the subtlest and most profound corners of the hellish dungeon that somehow nurtures hope? I will leave that to the latenight comedians and Sunday talkshow pundits to puzzle out.

That's all. Nothing complicated. I'm feeling kind of mellow, sort of tender. McCain is wrong on any number of issues. But we all would be ennobled to have him as our president. Virtue should be honored. Courage is a virtue. They speak of "qualified." If it means anything, it means character under trial. That's all. I'll leave it for the comedians to elaborate.


J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"scorn"

I have been hearing about how Obama systematically disqualified people from the ballot while in the "Chicago Machine". Who knew he was a coward politically as well.

I thought Thompson's speech was moving...no, that just doesn't do it justice, I need a Jack adjective, something profound.
All I know is that I have a deeper understanding of what McCain went through and the type of man he is deep down.